Ethiopian Electric Utility Plans to Invest $100 million to Improve Electric Services in 10 Cities

ADDIS ABABA – Ethiopian Electric Utility (EEU) is set to implement a 100 million US dollars project in a bid to resolve the recurring problems of electric outages and fluctuation in 10 rapidly growing cities.

In a statement on Wednesday, the Utility firm said the project will redevelop and upgrade the limited capacity of electric distribution lines and related infrastructures of the cities due to aging, and meet their bulging population “rapidly growing demand” for reliable and quality services.

Addis Ababa, Nekemt, Ambo, Sululta, Bishoftu, Asela, Debre Birhan, Dilla, Hosaena, Asosa and Jigjiga are the cities that the project targets.

According to EEU, the World Bank allocated a 100 million US dollars loan for the project that is scheduled to be completed in three years. 

EEU said it is now awaiting for an approval from the Bank after sending a procurement plan to hire consultants and contractors that will be carrying out the project.

As per the EEU’s project, about 65 percent of the residents of the cities will get electric access from the national main grid and the remaining 35 percent get from alternate energy sources.  

The state-run utility firm is currently carrying out a similar distribution lines redevelopment and upgrading project in 8 cities and 6 towns of the country, EEU’s statement claims.

Source: Link to the Post

Leave a Reply