Six People Electrocuted while trying to Put out Fire

ADDIS ABABA – Six people were electrocuted to death while trying to put out fire in East Gojjam zone of Amhara regional State, police said on Tuesday.



The unfortunate incident occurred in Amare Yewubesh kebele of East Gojjam’s Mechakel District on Monday night, said Commander Amsal Sewinet, head of the Police Office Of the district, speaking to Ethiopian News Agency.

The victims were residents of a house illegally connected with an electric transformer put in place for an ongoing development project.

Police said the overloaded transformer eventually exploded on Monday, causing the electric wire connected to the house without an electric meter to catch a fire.



The six people frantically tried to put out the fire by disconnecting the power line bare handedly.

And they got electrocuted to death, said the police, describing the two of the victims as the husband and wife.

Investigation into the accident is still ongoing, said Police, cautioning the public to refrain from activities that could cause electric accidents.

Source: Link to the Post

Leave a Reply