Request for Expressions of Interest
Organization: Agricultural Transformation Institute
IFB Title: Selection of Consulting Services for: Assessment of the Ethiopian seed value chain at national level with particular emphasis on the Amhara and Tigray regions.
Project ID: CET 1124 FARM Project
IFB Number: ATA-NCB-CON-2023-0014
The Ethiopian Agricultural Transformation Institute (ATI) has received a financing from Agence Française de Dévelopement (“AFD“), and intends to use part of the funds thereof for payments under the FARM project.
The services of the consultant shall consist of the Assessment of the Ethiopian seed value chain at national level with particular emphasis on the Amhara and Tigray regions. The study will include a synthesis of the reports already done regarding the formal seed value chain, in particular with regards to the 10 Agricultural Commercialization Clusters (ACC) priority commodities and other major foods including: cereal (wheat, maize, teff, barley, sorghum), pulses (faba bean, chickpeas, common bean, soya bean, lentils), vegetables (tomato, onion, potato, carrot, sweet potato), fruit trees (avocado, mango, banana). In a second step, it will describe the informal seed value chain in the targeted regions.. In the last step, the study should be accompany with an economical analysis of the feasibility of the extension of the formal system in the targeted rural area and describe the farming practices in place to develop the use of improved seeds in these area (access to market, farming practices, control authorities, etc.) including prerequisite (risk management, fertility management, access to technical and financial services, access to market). The study will initially focus on the Amhara, Tigray and Afar in detail and at national level on systemic and policy issues, before expanding to the other regions in the country. It will cover all of the formal, informal and mixed or intermidiate seed systems and will take advantage of existing studies and research conducted in Ethiopia.
The Ethiopian Agricultural Transformation Institute (ATI) hereby invites Applicants to show their interest in delivering the Services described above.
This Request for Expressions of Interest is open to:
|Joint Venture between NGO(s) and consulting firm(s)
Eligibility criteria to AFD financing are specified in sub-clause 1.3 of the “Procurement Guidelines for AFD‑Financed Contracts in Foreign Countries”, available online on AFD’s website: http://www.afd.fr.
In order to confirm eligibility for AFD financing, interested firms shall submit (as part of the expression of interest) a duly signed ‘statement of integrity’ which is appended to this REOI.
The Applicant shall submit only one application, either in its own name or as a member of a Joint Venture (JV). If an Applicant (including any JV member) submits or participates in more than one application, those applications shall be all rejected. However, the same Subconsultant may participate in several applications.
If the Applicant is a joint venture (JV), the expression of interest shall include:
- a copy of the JV Agreement entered into by all members,
- a letter of intent to execute a JV Agreement, signed by all members together with a copy of the Agreement proposal,
In the absence of this document, the other members will be considered as Subconsultants.
Experiences and qualifications of Subconsultants are not taken into account in the evaluation of the applications.
Interested Applicants must provide information evidencing that they are qualified and experienced to perform those Services. For that purpose, documented evidence of recent and similar services shall be submitted. Thèse inclue présentation of the Following, but not limited to: general presentation the Consultancy firm such as scope of services or activities, description of human resources, organigram, etc. Moreover, it is recommended to present the following:
- Support letter showing good track record on seed value chain analysis from three organizations working on Ethiopian seed system as indicated above.
- Familiar with the Ethiopian farming system and seed system very well
- Knowledge on Ethiopian indiginous seed excgange and conservation system
- Have good experience on Ethiopian seed system analysis and formulation of interventions
Determination of the similarity of the experiences will be based on:
- The contracts size: 50, 000 EURO and above.
- The nature of the services: Seed value chain study, seed value chain assesssments, analytical studies, provision of recommendations.
- The technical area and expertise: Agriculture sector, crop production and productivity, seed value chain, agro-ecology. It requires experience on similar study. Similar studies include seed value chain studes and analysis which should address the formal and the informal seed value chains. It also requires experience and expertise to make a synthesis from all existing documentation and review of the national legislation framework to come up with policy recomendations. During the analysis, the informal seed value chain analysis is expected to focus on family farms needs in the 3 conflict affected areas (Amhara, Tigray and Afar) with the aim of providing recommendation in order to improve local access to seeds and ensuring its alignment with agro-ecological practices.
- The location: Experience in Ethiopia or comparable agro-ecological context in the agriculture and seed value chain study and analysis. Internation competent should bring the work permit of Ethiopia
- Experience on donor funded projects.
The Client will also take into account for the evaluation of the applications the following items:
- Presence and availability of appropriate skills among staff for provision of technical back-up to the on-site experts. The Consultant will provide information for potential involvement of its staffs approperiate to the services bearing in mind that other individuals may be presented at bidding stage;
- Local representatives/partners: for an international consulting firm, there must be a local representatives/partners based in Addis Ababa or any other town in the country.
- Relevant quality assurance procedures and certifications of the applicant.
Due to the security risk in the areas where the services are to be performed, the evaluation of Expressions of Interest will verify that the applications meet the following criteria:
- The applicant has at least one experience providing services in an area with a similar security risk, for which it shall provide proof of implementation of security measures (invoice or contract with a security service provider, proof of security awareness training before departure on-site, etc.).
- The applicant has set up internal security management procedures: it shall provide a description of its monitoring system and crisis management system.
The Applicant shall describe its standard preparation process for departure on assignment in sensitive areas, and shall attach documents proving its implementation (service orders with related instructions, certificates of awareness-raising or training actions, etc.).
For a JV, its leader and any member that has its registered office outside the Client’s country shall fulfil each of these criteria.
An application that does not meet any of the aformentioned requirements will be rejected.
Among the submitted applications, the Ethiopian Agricultural Transformation Institute (ATI) will shortlist a maximum of six (6) Applicants, to whom the request for proposals to carry out the services shall be sent.
The Expressions of Interest must be submitted to the address below no later than January 26, 2024 2:00pm.
ATI reserves the right to accept or reject any Application, and to cancel the procurement process and reject all Applications, at any time without thereby incurring any liability to the affected applicants or any obligation to inform the affected applicants of the ground for ATI’s action.
The Application must be submitted either by hand to ATI or by tender box or electronically with office address given below.
Ethiopian Agricultural Transformation Institute (ATI)
Senior Operation Director Office, 3rd floor
Bole, off Meskel Flower Road /Behind Mega Building – Across Commercial Graduates Association,
Tel. +251-115 -570678/85 or cell phone +251911-660518
Fax + 251-115 570668
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
For International Consultants, the EOI documents should be preferably submitted in PDF electronic format (i.e., via email) to the address indicated below and electronic proposals exceeding the volume of 32-35MB cannot be accepted. If not possible due to technical or size constrains, the proposal can be submitted in hard copy (paper form or electronic media like DVD, memory stick). Whichever format is chosen by the consultant, the entire documentation shall be provided in one format only. Mixed submissions will not be considered. The consulting firms should request and receive an acknowledgment of receipt of the EOI document from the procurement department before the deadline of the submission date and time.
Interested Applicants may obtain further information at the address: Damte Mengistu , [email protected] or at the address mentioned above prior to January 26, 2024 during office hours 8:30 am ̶ 17:30 pm East African Time.
Statement of Integrity, Eligibility and Environmental and Social Responsibility
Reference of the bid or proposal __________________________________________ (the “Contract“)
To: _______________________________________________________ (the “Contracting Authority“)
- We recognise and accept that Agence Française de Développement (“AFD“) only finances projects of the Contracting Authority subject to its own conditions which are set out in the Financing Agreement which benefits directly or indirectly to the Contracting Authority. As a matter of consequence, no legal relationship exists between AFD and our company, our joint venture or our suppliers, contractors, subcontractors, consultants or subconsultants. The Contracting Authority retains exclusive responsibility for the preparation and implementation of the procurement process and performance of the contract. The Contracting Authority means the Purchaser, the Employer, the Client, as the case may be, for the procurement of goods, works, plants, consulting services or non-consulting services.
- We hereby certify that neither we nor any other member of our joint venture or any of our suppliers, contractors, subcontractors, consultants or subconsultants are in any of the following situations:
2.1 Being bankrupt, wound up or ceasing our activities, having our activities administered by the courts, having entered into receivership, reorganisation or being in any analogous situation arising from any similar procedure;
2.2 Having been:
- convicted, within the past five years by a court decision, which has the force of res judicata in the country where the Contract is implemented, of fraud, corruption or of any other offense committed during a procurement process or performance of a contract (in the event of such conviction, you may attach to this Statement of Integrity supporting information showing that this conviction is not relevant in the context of this Contract);
- subject to an administrative sanction within the past five years by the European Union or by the competent authorities of the country where we are constituted, for fraud, corruption or for any other offense committed during a procurement process or performance of a contract (in the event of such sanction, you may attach to this Statement of Integrity supporting information showing that this sanction is not relevant in the context of this Contract);
- convicted, within the past five years by a court decision, which has the force of res judicata, of fraud, corruption or of any other offense committed during the procurement process or performance of an AFD-financed contract;
2.3 Being listed for financial sanctions by the United Nations, the European Union and/or France for the purposes of fight-against-terrorist financing or threat to international peace and security;
2.4 Having been subject within the past five years to a contract termination fully settled against us for significant or persistent failure to comply with our contractual obligations during contract performance, unless this termination was challenged and dispute resolution is still pending or has not confirmed a full settlement against us;
2.5 Not having fulfilled our fiscal obligations regarding payments of taxes in accordance with the legal provisions of either the country where we are constituted or the Contracting Authority’s country;
2.6 Being subject to an exclusion decision of the World Bank and being listed on the website http://www.worldbank.org/debarr (in the event of such exclusion, you may attach to this Statement of Integrity supporting information showing that this exclusion is not relevant in the context of this Contract);
2.7 Having created false documents or committed misrepresentation in documentation requested by the Contracting Authority as part of the procurement process of this Contract.
- We hereby certify that neither we, nor any of the members of our joint venture or any of our suppliers, contractors, subcontractors, consultants or subconsultants are in any of the following situations of conflict of interest:
3.1 Being an affiliate controlled by the Contracting Authority or a shareholder controlling the Contracting Authority, unless the stemming conflict of interest has been brought to the attention of AFD and resolved to its satisfaction;
3.2 Having a business or family relationship with a Contracting Authority’s staff involved in the procurement process or the supervision of the resulting Contract, unless the stemming conflict of interest has been brought to the attention of AFD and resolved to its satisfaction;
3.3 Being controlled by or controlling another bidder or consultant, or being under common control with another bidder or consultant, or receiving from or granting subsidies directly or indirectly to another bidder or consultant, having the same legal representative as another bidder or consultant, maintaining direct or indirect contacts with another bidder or consultant which allows us to have or give access to information contained in the respective applications, bids or proposals, influencing them or influencing decisions of the Contracting Authority;
3.4 Being engaged in a consulting services activity, which, by its nature, may be in conflict with the assignments that we would carry out for the Contracting Authority;
3.5 In the case of procurement of goods, works or plants:
- Having prepared or having been associated with a consultant who prepared specifications, drawings, calculations and other documentation to be used in the procurement process of this Contract;
- Having been recruited (or being proposed to be recruited) ourselves or any of our affiliates, to carry out works supervision or inspection for this Contract.
- If we are a state-owned entity, and to compete in a procurement process, we certify that we have legal and financial autonomy and that we operate under commercial laws and regulations.
- We undertake to bring to the attention of the Contracting Authority, which will inform AFD, any change in situation with regard to points 2 to 4 here above.
- In the context of the procurement process and performance of the corresponding contract:
6.1 We have not and we will not engage in any dishonest conduct (act or omission) deliberately indented to deceive others, to intentionally conceal items, to violate or vitiate someone’s consent, to make them circumvent legal or regulatory requirements and/or to violate their internal rules in order to obtain illegitimate profit;
6.2 We have not and we will not engage in any dishonest conduct (act or omission) contrary to our legal or regulatory obligations or our internal rules in order to obtain illegitimate profit;
6.3 We have not promised, offered or given and we will not promise, offer or give, directly or indirectly to (i) any Person who holds a legislative, executive, administrative or judicial mandate within the State of the Contracting Authority regardless of whether that Person was nominated or elected, regardless of the permanent or temporary, paid or unpaid nature of the position and regardless of the hierarchical level the Person occupies, (ii) any other Person who performs a public function, including for a State institution or a State‑owned company, or who provides a public service, or (iii) any other person defined as a Public Officer by the national laws of the Contracting Authority’s country, an undue advantage of any kind, for himself or for another Person or entity, for such Public Officer to act or refrain from acting in his official capacity;
6.4 We have not promised, offered or given and we will not promise, offer or give, directly or indirectly to any Person who occupies an executive position in a private sector entity or works for such an entity, regardless of the nature of his/her capacity, any undue advantage of any kind, for himself or another Person or entity for such Person to perform or refrain from performing any act in breach of its legal, contractual or professional obligations;
6.5 We have not and we will not engage in any practice likely to influence the contract award process to the detriment of the Contracting Authority and, in particular, in any anti‑competitive practice having for object or for effect to prevent, restrict or distort competition, namely by limiting access to the market or the free exercise of competition by other undertakings;
6.6 Neither we nor any of the members of our joint venture or any of our suppliers, contractors, subcontractors, consultants or subconsultants shall acquire or supply any equipment nor operate in any sectors under an embargo of the United Nations, the European Union or France;
6.7 We commit ourselves to comply with and ensure that all of our suppliers, contractors, subcontractors, consultants or subconsultants comply with international environmental and labour standards, consistent with laws and regulations applicable in the country of implementation of the Contract, including the fundamental conventions of the International Labour Organisation (ILO) and international environmental treaties. Moreover, we shall implement environmental and social risks mitigation measures when specified in the environmental and social commitment plan (ESCP) provided by the Contracting Authority.
- We, as well as members of our joint venture and our suppliers, contractors, subcontractors, consultants or subconsultants authorise AFD to inspect accounts, records and other documents relating to the procurement process and performance of the contract and to have them audited by auditors appointed by AFD.
Name: __________________________ In the capacity of: _____________________________________
Duly empowered to sign in the name and on behalf of:________________________________________
 In case of joint venture, insert the name of the joint venture. The person who will sign the application, bid or proposal on behalf of the applicant, bidder or consultant shall attach a power of attorney from the applicant, bidder or consultant.
Source: Link to the Post